Friday 26 June 2015

Of All The Food Oddities In The World: Square Watermelons!!!


It would never have occurred to me that it was possible to have watermelons in any other shapes than round, and probably oval or oblong. However, I was reading something of recent and then I saw a reference to the 'square watermelons of Japan'. My eyes almost popped out of their sockets and so, I went looking for these square wonders. Lo and behold, I sure did find them. And don't even think it - it's not Photoshop - it's for real.
I did a bit more research and discovered that the Japanese people developed a special technique to make watermelons grow in a square shape because the round ones don't stack probably on the shelves in stores, but with the square ones, they sit nicely wherever they are placed. Pretty neat right? But kinda weird too. Imagine eating a wedge from a square watermelon. Although, the square watermelon will make perfect strips.

via Wsj


Via Ecorazzi

Via Stresseffect
via Pinterest
If you want to learn more about how they grow them, you can have a look right here.

As if that is not enough, a bakery in Taiwan decided to go ahead and start baking square watermelon bread! According to Jimmy’s Bakery, which invented this twisted masterpiece, it was designed to get kids excited about eating bread during the hot summer months when their appetites decrease. The bread uses natural dyes – green tea for the rind, strawberries for the flesh, and charcoal for the seeds (I think raisins would do nicely for seeds).

Via Boredpanda

I have to admit that it looks rather yummy. I would like to know how they got the bread to come out looking so perfect though, from my experience with bread dough, what you want isn't always what you get. Still, this is excellent food art. If only I could get a bite, just for tasting...

Now, you have learnt that you can manipulate fruits to grow in any shape you want them to by simply setting them in a mold when they are young. Train up a child in the way it should go...

Cover image via Toxel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there, thanks for stopping by to read this, I hope you enjoyed it. Please feel free to share your views.