Friday 3 July 2015

For The Love Of Food: 3 Delicious Sweet Potato Recipes


Sweet potatoes are nice, but I don't care much for them when they are just boiled and served with sauce. Sweet potatoes are kind of heavy and I find that for me, boiled potatoes are just not the thing, so what I usually do with sweet potatoes is to add it to yam porridge and make a yam/sweet potato porridge. It tastes really nice. But when you have a whole basket of sweet potatoes sitting in the pantry (they are a lot cheaper than yams, but they spoil really fast), you realize the need to find more interesting things to do with them, because having the porridge all the time gets boring. In my search for other easy and tasty sweet potato recipes, here are 5 recipes I found that will appeal to the typical African's taste buds.


1. Meaty Sweet Potatoes




This is supposed to appeal to kids but I'm sure anyone will find that it tastes nice. Try not to let the potatoes get too soft while cooking though. See the recipe here.

2. Sweet Potato Fries With Plantain And Stew


The challenge I have with making fries out of sweet potatoes is the cutting part. They are not easy to cut like their Irish cousins, but with a very sharp knife and some arm strength (or better still, a kitchen device that can cut them for you), you are well on your way to having yourself these tasty fries. Here is the recipe.


3. Sweet Potato Fritters



In other words, sweet potato 'akara' with orisirisi inside it. This one is really interesting, packed with protein and vitamins too. I like! You can make these fritters by just looking right here.


Cover image via Thestar


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there, thanks for stopping by to read this, I hope you enjoyed it. Please feel free to share your views.