Saturday 20 June 2015

This Is How To Cut Onions - Without Crying!


I really don't understand the particular kinds of onions that are available in the market now, it's like they were genetically modified just to bring out maximum tears from your eyes! Usually, my eyes just water when I cut onions, but recently, I was just peeling the skin off onions to feed them into a blender and I cried a river! Seriously, the tears rolled down my cheeks and even dropped to my blouse, serious tears o, and I wasn't even chopping the onions! That is never going to happen to me anymore, not now that I know this:


The best way to cut onions without feeling the stinging is to wear goggles, if you have goggles. If you don't, don't despair. You can also freeze or refrigerate the onions before you cut. This method works like a charm. Freezing seems to be even better and doesn't affect the taste or flavor of the onions.

Via Lifehacker
Another thing you could do is to soak the onions in water for some time before you cut, this method doesn't give absolute results, but it does reduce the amount of stinging, and you probably won't actually cry. With the freezing or refrigeration however, be sure to keep the onion away from your other food items, you should put it in nylon bag or something, else your fridge will smell all oniony. 

Extra Tips:

Always cut onions with very sharp knives that ensure quick, clean cuts.

If your eyes sting, never get tempted to rub them with your hands, your hands will be laden with the stinging juices.

People who wear contact lenses hardly complain of feeling the onion sting, so if you have contacts, try keeping them on when you are chopping onions.

Cover Image: Menshealth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there, thanks for stopping by to read this, I hope you enjoyed it. Please feel free to share your views.