Tuesday 24 November 2015

Do You Also Have The Back Ache Plague?



Just yesterday, my mum and I were having an argument. She said I was too young to be plagued with a back ache and that I agree with. The point I was arguing over was her insistence that back ache is caused solely by too much sugar. I know I don't consume that much sugar but my dear mother seems to think I eat at least a quarter bag of the stuff everyday! See why I was arguing now? Who needs sugar to get a back ache these days with all the sedentary job and bad posture issues?

Anyway, if you also have the back ache issue. Lets get down to business. Admittedly, it can be hard to cure, but for starters, you need to stop doing these 5 things.

1. Don’t lift heavy weights.

If you lift weights for exercise, work, or any other reason, consider limiting yourself for a while. Don’t lift or carry anything heavier than five pounds for a week. Let your back relax and heal a bit.

2. Don’t avoid exercise.

Lifting should be off the table, but do exercise a bit. Go for long, brisk walks or even a light jog if you can tolerate it.

3. Don’t forget to work on better posture.

One major problem with back health is our posture. We slouch too much (yes we do!). If you sit at a desk for work, sit with both feet flat on the ground with your back straight. Your computer monitor shouldn’t be above your line of vision. You should be looking slightly down at your work.

4. Don’t obsess over a diagnosis.

Sometimes there’s no clear diagnosis for back pain. You shouldn’t worry so much about what’s causing it unless the pain is getting extreme. Instead, move around, stretch, try to build some strength in your back.

5. Don’t just wait (or pray) for it to go away.

If you’re worried about chronic back pain and nothing seems to work, go visit a doctor. They may help you manage the pain or even suggest creative ways to get rid of it.


Cover image via Spineuniverse.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there, thanks for stopping by to read this, I hope you enjoyed it. Please feel free to share your views.