Monday 15 February 2016

Our Exciting And Wholesome New Addition To Mealtimes



"I want a new addition to my meals", my dad said to me this morning. "Henceforth, I want lots of fresh tomatoes and onions at least 1 - 2 times a week". I wondered where that was coming from. Being a Nigerian family, a Yoruba one at that, tomatoes and onions are part of our daily diet already! We make stew from a blend of tomatoes, pepper and onions, and we get to eat that every single day in one form or another, so why did dad suddenly want even more? " While I was thinking about this, he continued, " I want plenty of tomatoes and onions to be fried briefly and used to make egg sauce, you can also steam them for other meals". Hmmn, dad wasn't the first man I knew paying special attention to tomatoes and onions (especially tomatoes) in recent times. Has there been some kind of campaign or tomato awareness program targeted at men recently?

I got curious and decided to look tomatoes up. Don't get me wrong. I don't have anything against tomatoes, but except for when the mai suya chops them up alongside onions in my suya, I don't go out of my way to eat raw/slightly steamed tomatoes and onions. I had to know if I was missing something. My search paid off. Apparently, tomatoes can be really very useful:

1. Tomatoes are good for our heart and circulation

Tomatoes contain a mineral called potassium which is necessary for optimal vein and muscle health. It can help reduce cholesterol and stabilise blood pressure. It also assists kidneys to filter the wastes in blood. Potassium levels in the body can be maintained by eating tomatoes and this will radically reduce the possibility of stroke and heart attack.

The amount of potassium in tomatoesvaries, depending on the quality and size of the tomato you pick. To absorb the largest amount of potassium from tomatoes, you should eat them raw. You can either dice tomatoes for salads, slice them up for sandwiches or blend them into a refreshing juice. Keeping tomatoes uncooked and combining them with other fresh ingredients, you do not only enjoy delicious meals but also have sufficient daily potassium intake.

2. Tomatoes make us feel and look good

Tomatoes are packed with antioxidants such as Vitamin C, Vitamin A and beta carotene. These antioxidants help prevent irreparable damage of cells caused by free radicals. The relationship between antioxidants and free radicals is crucial to good health and well being.

Apart from making us feel healthier, tomatoes also make us look more attractive. For example, tomatoes can keep our hair shiny and strong, maintain good eye health and allow our skin to stay glowing. Eat them raw or use them directly on your skin with the flesh side down.

3. Tomatoes boost the health of teeth and bones as we age

Other than drinking milk, eating tomatoes can help strengthen your bones and teeth as they are a great source of calcium too! The amount of calcium in tomatoes depends on how they are consumed, but this can be easily calculated. It appears that sun-dried tomatoes contain the highest levels of calcium.

4. Tomatoes reduce the risk of cancer

Tomatoes contain a red pigment called Lycopene. Research has shown that consuming Lycopene-rich tomatoes can help to prevent cancer occurring in prostate, lung and stomach without bringing any adverse effects to the body. To extract the optimum levels of Lycopene from tomatoes, it is best to consume them when they are cooked and combined with a little fat. Tomato soup is unquestionably one of the greatest options you should consider!

5. Tomatoes are a great help to diabetics

Chromium is the mineral found in tomatoes that causes insulin spike and therefore regulates your blood sugar level. Canadian doctor Ben Kim says that chromium in food:
  • “Helps to regulate your blood sugar level by enhancing the effects of insulin
  • Helps to prevent cardiovascular disease, including type II diabetes, through its effect on insulin.
  • Helps your body make protein, fats, and cholesterol through its effect on insulin”
6. Tomatoes can repair the damage done by smoking

Tomatoes contain coumaric acid and chlorogenic acid, which can help repair the damage caused by carcinogens in cigarettes. Like many of the other properties found in tomatoes, chlorogenic acid is a powerful antioxidant that can reduce inflammation and prevent cancer.

After taking in all of that information, I think I'll become a convert of the pro-tomato movement too. In the spirit of that, I tried something today. I picked up one small, very red and pretty tomato, and since I know its a fruit just like apple or orange, I simply washed it and plunked the whole thing into my mouth and bit down, like I would with a grape. It didn't quite feel right! I guess it takes some getting used to, so I think I'll just stick to slicing it up or ingeniously adding it to meals more.

Cheers to a healthy diet and life!


Cover image via 1zoom.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there, thanks for stopping by to read this, I hope you enjoyed it. Please feel free to share your views.