Tuesday 22 September 2015

Would You Like To Become A Tree When You Die?


It's a weird question, right? I know too, but considering the fact that burial rites in the future seem to be headed in that direction, we might as well have the discussion now. When I saw the headlines "Bye-bye coffins, these organic burial pods will turn you into a tree when you die", my eyes almost actually popped out of their sockets. I scrolled past it and told myself "spooky!", next thing I knew, I scrolled back and actually clicked. Goodness! Become a tree in a second life after being human in the first? Really spooky!


They say this is how it works: first the body is encapsulated in a fetal position and then buried, and either a tree seed or an actual tree is planted above the capsule. You would even pick the type of tree you want to become, just as you would get to choose your very own coffin for a normal funeral. The body and the capsule then decompose to form the nutrients that feed the tree, hence turning a cemetery into a forest. Sound like all shades of creepy!




Before you say this sounds like something from some book or futuristic movie, I hear it's already legal in some parts of the USA and England, and maybe soon in Italy too. So guess what, we might be having plenty of 'sacred forests' soon. See more photos and read all about this new idea called the Capsula Mundi Project here.

What are your thoughts about this?


Images via Capsulamundi.it

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there, thanks for stopping by to read this, I hope you enjoyed it. Please feel free to share your views.